Neck pain is pretty common in adults. The cause of neck pain can vary from person to person. Basically, when your neck muscles are strained due to poor posture, it causes pain in the neck.
In very rare cases, neck pain is a symptom of some other underlying health issues. You should see a spine surgeon in Malad if you experience numbness, loss of strength in your hands, or have a sharp pain in your shoulder or arm.
What are the symptoms of neck pain?
Some of the main symptoms of neck pain include:
- Your neck starts to hurt when your head is held at one place for a long time. For instance, while working on a computer, driving, etc
- Tightness of muscles or spasms
- Restricted head movement due to pain
- Frequent headache
When Should You See a doctor?
In the majority of cases, home treatment is an ideal fix for your neck pain. However, if the pain persists, you should see a doctor.
You should seek immediate medical help and assistance if the neck pain is caused due to an accident, a fall, or any other activity.
Get in touch with Akhil Tawari, one of the best spine surgeons in Malad when:
- Your pain is extremely unbearable
- The pain does not subside after a few days
- The pain spreads to other parts of the body such as arms or legs
- When you also get frequent headaches, weakness, or a tingling sensation
Causes of Neck Pain
Your neck is highly flexible and has the ability to support the weight of your head. However, it is also vulnerable to injuries that can restrict its motion. Causes of neck pain include:
- Muscle strain – When you overuse your neck muscles or hunch while working on a computer, using a smartphone, reading, or more can strain your neck muscles. This causes pain.
- Worn joints – Similar to other parts of your body, your neck joints start to wear down as you grow older. Osteoarthritis leads to the damage of the cartilage between your bones. This is when the body starts forming bone spurs that can affect joint motion.
- Nerve compression – Herniated discs or bone spurs in the vertebrae of the neck can compress the nerves that are spurring out of the spinal cord.
- Injuries – Any major impact or an accident can injure your neck due to which, you may experience neck pain and discomfort.
- Diseases – Rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, meningitis, and other diseases can cause neck pain.
How Can You Prevent Neck Pain?
Most of the neck pain cases are linked with incorrect posture or age-related wear and tear. To ensure you prevent neck pain, it is important to ensure that your head is at the centre of the spine.
Here are a few ways you can prevent neck pain.
- Breaks – If you have long working hours or travel very frequently, it is important to stretch your shoulder and neck
- Phone – When you use a phone, try using a headset or a speakerphone so that you can avoid tucking the phone
- Smoking – Smokers are at a higher risk of neck pain. Hence, quit smoking if you are a smoker
- Baggage – Avoid carrying or lifting heavy weights as it can strain the muscles around your neck
- Sleep – Use a pillow that is comfortable and try to sleep on your back with thighs that are elevated on pillows
If you want to know more about how to deal with neck pain, get in touch with Dr. Akhil Tawari, an experienced spine surgeon in Malad.