Having back pain or shoulder pain is very common. Almost everyone at some point in life experiences back-related pain. The sedentary lifestyle, nutritional deficiencies, congenital diseases, and several other factors are indirectly responsible for causing such pain. If you experience upper back pain without any prominent emergency indication, you can resort to conservative approaches. However, our spine surgeon in Mumbai refers to surgery on facing extreme indications.
What Causes Upper Back Pain?
The upper back pain can be caused due to several reasons. Ignoring symptoms can aggravate pain or may trigger some other back problems. Some well-known reasons to cause upper back pain are:
- Muscle deconditioning
- Poor posture
- Traumatic injury
- Herniated disc
- Pinched nerve
- Spinal Infection
- Spine tumor
Upper Back/ Spine Treatment In Mumbai
When the upper back pain is irregular, mild, and has just started, the pain can be managed in the following ways:
Postural Changes- Poor postures may degrade the spinal conditions. Conversely, correction in postures can help reverse back pain. The spine is surrounded by muscles, ligaments, tendons,
- Postural Changes- Poor postures may degrade the spinal conditions. Conversely, correction in postures can help reverse back pain. The spine is surrounded by muscles, ligaments, tendons, and exiting nerves. Therefore, sitting or standing for prolonged hours in a particular posture creates stress in the cervical or upper back region, leading to pain.
- Ice Or Heat Therapy- Heat or ice therapy can reduce inflammation and stress in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the upper back, relieving pain.
- Massage- Light massages in circular motions work phenomenally in alleviating upper back pain. Massage reduces stress and improves blood circulation in the back.
- OTC Medications and pain-relieving injections- Typically, doctors prescribe over-the-counter medications for pain management. The doctor may also administer some strong pain killer injections in the targeted muscles to relieve pain. However, if the pain continues, they may recommend few diagnostic tests for knowing the cause of pain.
- Lifestyle Changes- Lifestyle changes such as exercise, healthy- diet, and yoga practice may improve overall body condition, making you flexible, fit, and stronger. In addition, recent researches emphasize the importance of exercising, over-improving bone and muscle health.
Most pain symptoms can be managed with the above pain management treatments; however, if the damage is internal and causes unbearable pain, or the intensity of pain increases even after pain-management programs, then our spine surgeon in Mumbai probably suggests spine surgery as the surest spine treatment.
The choice of surgery will depend on the spinal condition. Typically the following types of surgery work effectively in alleviating pain.
- Discectomy– It is done to relieve pinched nerves due to herniated disc or bulging disc. It is a minimally invasive surgery done through a microscopic incision on the upper back. The surgeon removes some part of the disc to relieve nervous distress.
- Foraminotomy– The MISS surgery aims to make some space for the exiting nerves, which are pushed and pinched in the space between the vertebrae and disc.
- Vertebral Augmentation– When the cervical spine develops fractional fractures, this vertebral augmentation binds cervical fractures. As per procedure, adhesive bone cement is injected into the fractures and allowed to solidify. This procedure makes the vertebral structure strong and stable.
You can always feel free to ask the doctor why the surgery is necessary to you, and the surgeon shall explain its importance and expected relief from the surgery. Doctors usually rely on medications and therapies for spinal healing, but if the spine does not respond well to medications, the doctor prefers surgery as the most sustainable spinal treatment.
Dr. Akhil Tawari, one of the well-known spine surgeons in Mumbai, has treated several complicated spine cases with the latest medical approaches and skills. For treating your spinal problem, choose Dr. Akhil Tawari.