- Scoliosis is a condition in which the patient’s spine transforms into abnormal lateral curvature. It is most common in children in their early adolescence. Also, scoliosis is two times more common in girls than in boys. Dr. Akhil Tawari is one of the leading Orthopedic Spine Surgeon in the Malad & Dahisar area with hands-on experience in treating spinal conditions for patients of all ages. He has undergone extensive pediatric spine fellowship training pin the USA to provide international levels of standard of care to his patients.
What Causes Scoliosis?
In most cases, the cause behind developing scoliosis is unknown which is known as Idiopathic Scoliosis. Scoliosis can also result sometimes due to specific causes such as
- The kids have associated syndromes which make their spine tilted including neurofibromatosis.
- Abnormal formation of spinal bones. When the spinal bones fail to form completely or fail to separate from each other during fetal development.
- It can also result from certain neuromuscular conditions including cerebral palsy.
- In older adults, scoliosis occurs as a result of changes in the spine due to arthritis known as spondylosis.
Signs and Symptoms
- An abnormal curve of the spine
- Uneven waist
- One hip or shoulder higher than the other
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Back pain
- Abdominal pain
At first, Dr Akhil Tawari takes a session with the patient to ask specific questions such as the family history of scoliosis, symptoms, or any other medical problems. The treatment starts with a physical examination that involves your doctor looking at your spine from the front, side, and back. The patient will also be examined for uneven waist, abnormal curves, and physical deformities.
There are three main categories for scoliosis treatment which includes:
Observation and bracing generally work well for many people with Idiopathic scoliosis. Surgery, however, is the best option for certain progressive types of scoliosis. The surgery involves correcting the abnormal curve and performing a spinal fusion to hold it in place.
Book your appointment with an experienced spine surgeon in Dahisar to know more about scoliosis and our state-of-the-art orthopedic treatments customized to ensure the patients receive the highest quality of health treatments.